Online Learning and Resources
Complete your CPD anytime, anywhere
SAPMEA recognises that you cannot always find the time to attend our workshops, therefore our online learning and resources have been developed with you in mind.
Dealing with Difficult Patients - Webinar Recording
Held on 28th April 2020
This webinar was created for frontline staff dealing with patients, either in person or over the phone, including receptionists, clerical staff in primary practice, pharmacy assistants and dispensary staff.
The webinar addresses effective communication and strategies for responding to difficult and anxious patients during this critical time including:
● Barriers to effective communication ● Risk Assessment ● Removing denial and making assumptions about personal safety ● Accountability ● Principles of cause and effect ● Focused imagery ● Methods of effective verbal and non-verbal communication ● Understanding the primal triggers of human behaviour ● Avoiding resistanceClick to view
GP Management of Headaches - Webinar Recording
Held on 14th May 2020
This GP focused webinar presented by Dr. Zhuang BSc BMBS(Hons) FRACP Neurologist Flinders Medical Centre covered the examination of migraines, medication overuse, tension type headache, and cluster headache.
• Examine the clinical features of migraine, medication overuse headache, tension type headache and cluster headache
• Identify options within general practice to manage the primary headache
• Recognise the appropriate referral pathways when red flags of secondary headaches are identified
Time to Heal Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - Webinar Recording
Held on 11th June 2020
Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that may occur after a traumatic event. Most Australians have been exposed to a traumatic events that have the potential to cause PTSD or other mental health problems.
• The assessment and management processes of people with PTSD
• The role of the GP in management of people with PTSD
• Identifying the referral pathways available for patients presenting with PTSD to ensure patient safety
Medication Management - Webinar Recording
Held on 15th June 2020
This webinar was for general practice nurses, outlining diabetes pathophysiology, type 2 diabetes & diabetes pathway, managing glycaemia, medications in type 2 diabetes education and self-management, resources and case studies.
• Describe the natural progression for type 2 diabetes
• Develop an appreciation of the range of type 2 diabetes medications
• Identify patient education needs based on the type 2 diabetes education pathway
• Describe the referral pathways for medication education and individualised action plans
• Self-appraise own scope of practice
Chronic Asthma in Children - Webinar Recording
Held on 18th June 2020
This webinar provides health professionals with clarity on the guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of paediatric asthma.
• Analysing the symptoms and clinical features suggesting an asthma diagnosis
• Discussing a stepped approach to adjusting asthma medication in children
• Identifying systems in practices and prioritising areas of improving asthma management for children
Immunisation Update - Webinar Recording
Held on 25th June 2020
All Immunisation Providers - GP's, Nurses and Pharmacists were invited to attend this Immunisation update. National Immunisation Program (NIP) schedule changes are from 1 July 2020. There are changes to the immunisation schedule designed to improve protection against meningococcal and pneumococcal disease.
The changes are being implemented following recommendations from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) and other clinical experts.
• Changes to the NIP meningococcal vaccination schedule.
• Changes to the NIP pneumococcal vaccination schedule.
Please note: Unfortunately, there were some sound issues at different times during the webinar. Please accept our apologies. To ensure providers do not miss the information, please click here to view Angela's points.Click to view
Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
Held on 9th July 2020
Early screening, diagnosis and management of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is important to prevent or reduce complications. A variety of guidelines exists, which assist Nurses, Aboriginal Health Workers and Midwives in the screening, diagnosis and management of GDM. This webinar is intended to increase the knowledge and confidence in caring for woman with GDM.
• Outline preconception counselling
• Evaluate early pregnancy testing and management
• Plan post-natal follow-up testing and management
Domestic and Family Violence
Held on 14th July 2020
One of the darker side effects of Australia being in lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic is the rise in the number of people ringing domestic violence help lines. People and families are under a financial pressure and are feeling the effects of separation from a support network.
• Identify signs and indications of abuse
• Discuss the nature, severity, and impact of domestic violence
• Discuss how to approach enquiring about domestic or family violence
• Identify resources and support for families effected by domestic violence
Please note: Due to technical issues this webinar is not recorded. However please find the powerpoint presentation available in the link below.
SA Health 2020 Influenza Immunisation Program.
SA Health update on the 2020 Influenza Immunisation Program.
The Immunisation Coalition Influenza Webinar.
The Immunisation Coalition produces educational webinars for GPs, Immunisation Nurses, Pharmacists and other immunisation providers.Click for more information